Thursday, August 11, 2011

In other gardening news...

... We have some nice sized watermelons starting to grow in the garden! Can't wait to slice into one of those babies.
We also picked 2 nice sized cucumbers over the weekend and man, were they cucumbery! (no photos since I ate them too fast... I just couldn't resist) There are more flowers on the cucumber plants than I think we can handle.
We will definitely be pickling or giving many away to friends, family and neighbours (not the neighbour who called the town on our chickens of course). I am not sure what is going on with our bean plants. There are plenty flowers and they are growing like weeds but I have yet to see beans. Our tomato plants are rich with ripe tomatoes and I think we may just do some sauce canning this weekend if we have time.
We have zucchinis to pick daily and our Kale is actually really starting to take off.
The garden is such a wonderful blessing. Being able to provide our family with pesticide free, freshly picked vegetables is something I cannot imagine living without. Now that we have started with the gardening, there really is no comparison in quality, taste, freshness and cleanliness than with growing your own food. Eggs are no exception to this rule! I love Fresh home grown food!

No comments:

Post a Comment