Monday, November 7, 2011

Lots going on over here!

So many things to talk about lately.  I have started (unraveled and restarted) a new blanket for my brother-in-law's baby on the way.

I am doing a simple double linked stitch and adding the 2 stripes.  I was so excited to have found a nice chocolate brown yarn that I grabbed the 5 balls that were left on the shelf and never even bothered to check the dye lot number!  Turns out 3 balls are from 1 dye lot and 2 are from another.  They are a shade different and so I had to rethink the pattern.  With 3 balls of brown I figured I should add some stripes since the Mommy to be said she really liked the last blanket I made which was stripes.  I believe it was a blessing in disguise since I think they will like this blanket much more than the solid brown with a green trim, this pattern is far more FUN!  The other 2 brown yarn balls will make a warm snugglee hat for myself or one of the kids!   

I am looking for some good recipes for my homemade soap.  I have found a nice resource webpage (http://www.millersoap.com/) and  as well as a Canadian supply store that will ship called Canwax.

We are also slowly trying to eliminate all store bought cleaning and personal products in our home; once we run out of store bought we will be making most things ourselves.  We started with the Laundry soap and are now finding the ingredients to make our own Dishwasher detergent since we have only 2-3 loads worth of the store bought left.  I have yet to decide on whether I want to make deodorant (many use simple rubbing alcohol) instead of buying my regular antiperspirant since it contains aluminum.   Toothpaste, which contains fluoride (many use good old baking soda) is also on the fence.  I have yet to make up my mind as to which is best, homemade or store bought.  I think I will end up using both  homemade and store bought.  Homemade deodorant and toothpaste for regular everyday use.   Store bought toothpaste for use once or twice a week (preventative) and store bought antiperspirant for certain outings and workouts (ex: weddings, volleyball in summertime, etc).

We have also been getting loads of traffic through the house lately.   It has been a bit challenging trying to keep the house in "show ready" condition.  Trying to balance the cleaning, family time and adult time is getting increasingly more difficult.  We are hopeful that the house will sell soon.  The holidays are just around the corner and we would love to be settled into our new home at least before the 12 days of Christmas are upon us.  I am a Christmas fanatic and will not allow moving to interrupt our Christmas celebrations.  We are also trying to see a few other houses.  We still have an offer on the home with 2 acres but want to know our other options just incase there is some issue with home inspection on our current prospective property.

We have also been trying to get out to the chicken coop as often as possible.  We still try to go twice a week.  We brought Owen out there recently and let him collect some eggs.



Owen collecting some farm fresh eggs!
We also have some ideas for improvements and are hoping to get out there and spend some time cleaning and building a new roost.  Aaron wants to build a ladder roost with a poop drawer to aid in cleaning and also is more conducive to the birds hierarchy. We would build the roost and use mesh to keep the birds from getting underneath it, allowing for easy cleaning of the poop drawer.  Since we all plan on keeping the coop running over the winter, the easier the cleaning the better... especially in the dead of winter!

Some other things going on at the coop... the run was extended and there are suppose to be 3 separate areas in which the birds would alternate depending on where we allowed them to go.  They decided they would venture into all the run areas by digging and slipping under the fence.  The birds were not able to get back to the original run and therefore, not able to return to the coop.  Someone propped up the fence to allow them to go from run to run without getting stuck just until there was a solution.

Our birds found a perfect place to dust bathe... together of course!
Under a window below the fence that was suppose to separate 2 run areas.
One of the members came up with a solution and used old wire coat hangers (donated by members) to peg down the fence and so far this has been successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment