Sunday, December 18, 2011

Smoked Pork Chops


In every man's life there comes a time to make a choice. A choice to be great or to blend in with the din. Today, I was presented with just such a moment.

A few days ago I was at Wagner's Orchards to pick up a pastured beef rib roast for Christmas Dinner, while I was there, Harold, being the consummate sales man, talked me into a couple berkshire pork chops - he didn't so much talk as lay a dozen out on the counter for me to look at; that's a salesman!

Here it is Sunday morning and I'm informed that my Mother-in-law will be joining us for dinner, and it so happens that these lovely chops have been beckoning. Now, it's decision time. How do I cook them? They weren't cheap and I want to taste the "berkshire-ness" that they're famous for. I decide, I must smoke them. Pork loves smoke. Plus it gives me a reason to fire up the Big Green Egg.

Here we go...



Look at those bad boys, begging for some salt and a delicate apple wood kiss.

Onto the small Big Green Egg for a quick sear.


Smoking away on the small. Tastiness imminent.

250° dome temp, about 40 minutes, pulled with internal temp of 145° and allowed to rest about 5-10 minutes while I finished running the potatoes through the food mill (that makes good "mashed" potatoes) and getting the roasted carrots on the table.



There they are all finished. Now, I think I've committed a cardinal sin of "food blogging," I didn't take a photo of the plate. Well, I was hungry, had two hungry kids, a hungry wife and a hungry Mother-in-law. Ahwell.

The chops were fantastic, though. They did not blend in with the din.

No comments:

Post a Comment