Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream

I purchased Aaron an ice cream maker for his birthday this year along with a recipe book. The book was a recommendation from Aaron's brother, Gavin, who has been making homemade ice cream for a while now. We tried it out this week Monday and made a simple chocolate ice cream out of our book and... MAN was it delicious! Considering all the cream, eggs and chocolate that is in this ice cream, its no wonder it is so tasty. Although, this also means it is full of fat. I think we will make the "real ice cream" on special occasions, but that is not to say that we won't be using the machine. It also makes frozen yogurt, sorbet and gelato. Gavin also says that using corn starch instead of eggs is a good way to reduce fat while keeping the texture of the ice cream. There is another book which I purchased for my Mom which is a vegan ice cream book which I will be sure to borrow and try out some recipes. I am excited to start making all sorts of healthy-ish goodies. With summer just around the corner, this was the perfect gift. Homemade Fro Yo here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment