Saturday, November 19, 2011

New Layer.

There is clearly a new layer out at the coop.  I collected eggs this past Wednesday and found a "mini egg".  The small egg had a nice shape to it but the shell was bumpy and the colour was inconsistent.  There are often some very large, slightly misshapen eggs as well which I assume are from the older layers.  I am excited to crack the tiny egg open and see the size of the yolk (vitellus) and white (albumen) in comparison to an average size egg.    I am not sure if the new layer would be one of my Barred Rocks or one of the Chanteclers since they are all about the same age and both lay brown eggs.  I would like to think it was one of the first from my hens, but there is no real way of knowing unless we actually see them laying.  Pretty cool regardless!
Tiny egg compared to one of the larger eggs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment